Last year while we were in Peru, one of my teammates got me a little musicians book with a place to put the words and a place to put the music. Naturally I felt the need to break such a great gift in with a stunning masterpiece. What actually came out was a song I didn't really expect. It's not deeply spiritual. It's not spectacularly all over the place. There is no dance interlude. But it's actually one of my favorite songs I've written. I like it's easy going feel, it makes me think of that genre of music I can't remember the name of right now.
In theroretical terms, this is my most complex piece. The use of secondary dominants (V7/V, V/ii), and modal borrowing (iv from the aeolian mode) provide richness not found in my other pieces. I was also inspired to use descending 6 chords from my recent analysis of Claude Debussy's Arabesque no. 1. This paragraph has been a shameless showing off of my musical knowledge, I hope you enjoyed it.
A note (no pun intended) on the singing. Once I get the idea in my head to record a song and put it online, I get impatient and perfection is not in my sight. Pardon the missed notes and not warmed up voice. And if I look a little scruffy and rough and disheveled, it's because I am. Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment