Thursday, May 22, 2008

Becoming Who I Am

I've decided that I don't like this process of becoming who I am in Christ. I want the ing to be gone and have already become. Would it be that bad to be perfect? Well I guess Jesus was the only one who was perfect, and He got killed because of it. But He also rose again. My shoulders hurt, I just worked out. Did Jesus work out? Every now and then I hear someone talk about Jesus as a carpenter and how His work must have been perfect. I personally think His first chair probably broke when He tried to sit in it. And He made many things that were misshapen and some of His round tables turned out oval. Being sinless wouldn't have made Jesus a master carpenter, practice would have. I don't think Jesus was able to slam dunk, or shoot a bulls eye every time with a bow and arrow. I think that maybe one day Jesus was walking and thinking about something and not paying attention and maybe tripped over a stone and fell on His face. Or He occasionally stubbed His toe. Or read a map wrong and got lost.
I think we (or at least I) have a flawed perception of Jesus as a man. I wonder if people were so upset Jesus said He was the son of God because of the words themselves, or because Jesus was so down to earth. "Jesus? The carpenters son? The same guy that almost choked on a fish bone at that wedding?" They were expecting a giant muscle bound warrior riding a white steed. Instead they got a rabbi riding a donkey.
Let me make it abundantly clear I am in no way attempting to belittle Jesus with my words. I'm hoping my words make Him more real, tangible. I believe Jesus was sinless and blameless while He walked the earth. But it seems we misconstrue this to mean something it's not. I think sometimes we are just as guilty about our perception of Jesus as the people back then were. And now I have to re examine what becoming like Christ truly means.

1 comment:

michelle said...

there's a book called "Lamb" by Christopher Moore that tells the story of Jesus from the perspective of Biff, Jesus' childhood pal.

now, obviously from the description, this is WAY WAY WAY fiction .... even pretty out there at times. BUT ... if you can get through some of the crazy stuff, it's really interesting to consider the perspective.

in fact, i could say that i was even more in love with Jesus, THE MAN, after reading the book. he was presented in such a normal light. like a best friend or something.

anyway ... good thoughts. love you brother!