I'm learning about Joy. I think.
It seems to me that joy is a rarity in the moment. Also that thing that are not joyous in this moment can become joyous later, and it seems that this kind of joy is more or can be more abundant. This kind of joy comes from hard work, tough decisions, tears, the ordinary, the uneventful, and natural occurrences that happen in, around, in between, and through these things and comes mostly in retrospect.
If these things are true, then it seems a life of obedience, of doing what's right, of hard work is most fulfilling. Because these things may not produce in the moment joy, but will bring treasures that grow sweeter at life progresses. For example:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature, and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4
Now, to me, facing trials does not seem like pure joy. But have you ever said "Man, that was a hard time in my life, but I'm so glad that I went through it because I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't."? I think the word here is perseverance. Perseverance brings that joy I'm talking about.
What I'm trying to say I think, is that a life of perseverance is better than a life of seeking joy in the moment. I think you'll get more joy that way.
So go, persevere. Joy in the moment is gonna come anyway, no need to seek it, let it come to you. Then more joy will come after that, then even more.
I don't know, maybe that's how it is or maybe it isn't. Just a thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment