Sunday, February 15, 2009

What I Love About Music

Now here I write a fantastic blog about chromatic fixed do solfege and I get no responses for a month. Finally I get a response and it says that my blog takes all the fun out of music. Well, if you must know, for me this IS the fun in music.

You see, I've been thinking for a while what exactly it is I love so much about music. I mean, listening is fun, but I rarely listen to my ipod and for the longest time I didn't even listen to music while I was driving. Performing is okay, but I have little to no discipline to practice to a point where I can perform (other than the current choir I'm a member of). I enjoy a wide variety of music, but am not inclined to study the performance practices of artists. I DO like solfege and Curwen hand signs and knowing how to build a half diminished 7.

What I finally realized is it's MUSIC that I love. Music itself. Not songs, not beautiful voices or instruments. It's music itself. It's kind of hard to describe. I mean songs are music right? But in my head songs are something you can do with music. Music is music. The IDEA of counterpoint is more exciting to me than listening to or performing or analyzing a Bach two part invention. Knowing the relative minor of C is a is more exciting than recognizing it in a piece. Explaining what these things mean are more exciting than performing or writing or studying a song that utilizes them.

I feel like I'm not explaining this very well. I just don't know how to say it. To quote the Pope, there's always something lost when a thought or idea makes its way from the mind to the spoken or written word. I'm not even quite sure how to think it.

I'm not exactly quite sure what to do with this love of mine, how to share it. I guess teaching is the best answer, but how do you teach what you can't explain? Blogs I guess. Peace.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I do apologize James. I guess to my simple pea-brain the inner workings of music seem a lot like algebra. I just don't get it. I think it is cool that you do though. The world would be very dull indeed without someone to teach us do solfege!

michelle said...

oh dear. how could i have forgotten those life-changing films (but i think it might be sacrilege to actually admit that i don't actually love forrest gump! sorry??)

thanks for the help though ... definitely great films.

michelle said...

you're at LEAST number 3. but i'll move you up to 2 because you actually comment. :)