I'm way past updating but I don't know what to say. I could tell you about Thanksgiving. Or I could tell you about my business. Or I could tell you about my cat Barnaby.
Instead, I'll tell you why if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, then it in fact does not make a sound.
First I have to clarify to all you smarty pants out there. We will be assuming that in addition to no one being there to hear the tree fall, there is also no thing there to hear the tree fall. No squirrels or bugs or anything like that. But we'll clear that up in the conclusion statement.
Okay, now we have to establish what a sound is. The information I am about to share is taken from the book The Diagnosis and Correction of Vocal Faults by James C. McKinney.
There are four thing needed in order for there to be a sound:
1. A vibration.
2. Something that creates the vibration.
3. A medium through which the vibration can travel (air, water, jello).
4. Something to receive that vibration and interpret it as sound (an ear).
So let's go through the steps. First, a vibration. Yes, there is a vibration caused by the crashing tree. Second, something that creates the vibration. It kind of follows that if you've got number one then number two was already there. In this case it's the tree causing the vibration as it falls to the ground. Third, a medium through which the vibration can travel. Unless this is a space forest, we'll go ahead and say air is the medium of travel. But then we get to number four. Remembering that we've cleared this forest of all creatures capable of hearing and that God has created a no listening zone in the area imposing it even on Himself, we can't fulfill the fourth thing needed to make sound. You see, unless there is something to interpret a vibration as a sound, it remains a vibration.
In conclusion, if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one or thing there capable of receiving a vibration and interpreting it as sound to hear it, then it does not make a sound. Peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hmmm .... just a technicality.
but i like the effort and enthusiasm you put into the argument :)
ok ... now i wanna hear about the business and the cat! what happened to the bird?
Seriously man, give some info about the business. And put up a picture of your roaster! I wanna see beans, glorious roasted beans!
fact: cats and birds are a bad combination.
she might be ok now ... but haven't you ever seen the Tweety bird show?!?! disaster waiting to happen.
p.s. i'll mark your discovery as genius once i see that magazine cover.
Post a Comment